Learning planners: an innovative technology for personalized learning
As the job market becomes more competitive, professionals need to keep their skills and knowledge up to date to stay ahead. To achieve this, many are turning to adaptive learning, which personalizes the learning experience using technology. One implementation of adaptive learning is the learning planner, which helps students map out their educational journey based on their goals and interests. By assessing a student’s knowledge and skills, the learning planner creates a customized learning plan with specific activities and resources tailored to their needs.
In this article, we’ll explore how learning planners are an innovative approach to personalized education, and how they can help professionals achieve their career goals. We’ll also discuss the benefits and limitations of learning planners and other adaptive learning techniques, and how they can be integrated into education to better support students’ learning needs.
What is a Learning Planner?
Traditionally, education and training have followed a “one-size-fits-all” approach, assuming that the same methods and materials can be applied to everyone. However, this approach has limitations, as it fails to account for individual differences in learning styles, abilities, and interests. In recent years, there has been a growing recognition that a more personalized approach to learning is more effective and efficient .
One such approach is a learning planner, which is a personalized method that tailors the learning experience to an individual’s unique needs, strengths, and goals. A learning planner involves setting personalized learning objectives, identifying appropriate learning resources, and creating a plan for achieving those objectives . By focusing on the individual’s preferred learning styles, interests, and strengths, a learning planner can help to keep them motivated and engaged in the learning process, and ultimately achieve their goals.
Compared to the one-size-fits-all approach, a learning planner is a more effective and efficient way of learning. It recognizes that each individual is unique and requires a personalized approach to learning that meets their needs and maximizes their potential .
How does it work?
Here are a few steps that describe how an adaptive learning planner works:
- Assessment: The adaptive system starts by assessing the individual’s strengths, weaknesses, and learning style. This may involve quizzes, tests, or other assessments to determine the individual’s knowledge and skills in a particular subject or field.
- Personalized Learning Objectives: Based on the assessment and the given requirements, the system creates a personalized learning objectives that are tailored to the individual’s unique needs, strengths, and goals .
- Adaptive Learning Path: Using the individual’s personalized learning objectives, the learning planner creates an adaptive learning path that adjusts in real-time based on the individual’s progress. This means that if the individual is struggling with a particular concept, the learning planner will adjust the learning path to provide additional support and resources  .
- Feedback and Assessment: Throughout the learning journey, the learning planner provides feedback and assessments to track progress and adjust the learning path as needed. This may involve quizzes, tests, or other assessments to determine the individual’s knowledge and skills in a particular subject or field .
- Mastery Learning: The learning planner is designed to help individuals achieve mastery of a particular subject or field, which means that they have a deep understanding of the concepts and are able to apply them in real-world situations .
Overall, an adaptive learning planner is a personalized approach to learning that takes into account an individual’s unique needs, strengths, and goals. It provides a customized learning experience that adapts to the individual’s progress and maximizes their potential for success.
Benefits of Using an Adaptive Learning Planner
There are several benefits of using an adaptive learning planner , including:
- Personalized Learning Experience: The adaptive learning planner provides a personalized learning experience that is tailored to the individual’s unique needs, strengths, and goals. This approach ensures that the individual is equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to achieve their goals and maximize their potential for success.
- Improved Learning Outcomes: By adapting the learning path in real-time, the adaptive learning planner can provide additional support and resources to help the individual overcome challenges and improve their understanding of the subject matter. This leads to improved learning outcomes and a deeper understanding of the concepts being taught.
- Greater Engagement: The personalized approach of the adaptive learning planner helps to keep individuals engaged in the learning process. By tailoring the learning experience to their preferred learning styles and interests, the adaptive learning planner can help to keep them motivated and engaged, leading to greater success.
- Time and Cost Savings: The personalized approach of the adaptive learning planner can help individuals achieve mastery of a subject or field more efficiently, saving time and reducing the cost of education or training.
Learning planners are an innovative technology that enable personalized and efficient learning experiences, they are revolutionizing the way we approach education and upskilling. With their help, learners can receive a customized education that fits their unique needs and learning style. By providing personalized learning experiences, learners can focus their efforts where they need them most, and receive guidance on how to improve their skills and knowledge. This approach not only benefits learners, but also educators and employers, who can track progress and adjust their teaching strategies to better support their students and employees. As technology continues to advance, we can expect to see even more innovation in the field of adaptive learning and learning planners.
- Fernández-Morante, C., Cebreiro-López, B., Rodríguez-Malmierca, M.-J., & Casal-Otero, L. (2021). Adaptive Learning Supported by Learning Analytics for Student Teachers’ Personalized Training during in-School Practices. Sustainability, 14(1), 124. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14010124
- Basitere, M. M., & Ivala, E. N. (2017). Evaluation of an Adaptive Learning Technology in a First-year Extended Curriculum Programme Physics course. South African Computer Journal, 29(3). https://doi.org/10.18489/sacj.v29i3.476
- Ling, H.-C., & Chiang, H.-S. (2022). Learning Performance in Adaptive Learning Systems: A Case Study of Web Programming Learning Recommendations. Frontiers in Psychology, 13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2022.770637
- Sonwalkar, N. (2005). Adaptive Learning Technologies: From One-Size-Fits-All to Individualization Research Bulletin Center for Applied Research EDUCAUSE. Retrieved from https://library.educause.edu/-/media/files/library/2005/3/erb0507-pdf.pdf
- Dahlmann, J. (2021). Guidelines for Effective Adaptive Learning: A Meta-Analysis Guidelines for Effective Adaptive Learning: A Meta-Analysis. Retrieved from https://scholarworks.umb.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1075&context=instruction_capstone
- Nabizadeh, A. H., Leal, J. P., Rafsanjani, H. N., & Shah, R. R. (2020). Learning path personalization and recommendation methods: A survey of the state-of-the-art. Expert Systems with Applications, 159, 113596. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2020.113596
Our latest articles about the topics: learning, science and Domoscio's news.